Furniture is expensive, and it’s always a struggle to find the best way to protect it from stains, spills and fading. One of the most popular ways is by using the best fabric protector for furniture.
Fabric protectors are usually in spray form and can be used on any type of material, including leather, marble, and wood.
A lot of people use fabric protectors on their furniture to keep them looking clean and new. However, these protection sprays are different and some are known to do a better job at protecting furniture than others.
This article will cover everything you need to know about fabric protector sprays. This will help you can make an informed purchase decision.
- What is fabric protector spray?
- Why you need a fabric protector spray and is it worth it?
- Best fabric protection spray for furniture reviews
- How to apply fabric protection spray (Steps)
- FAQ about the best spray for fabric furniture protection
What is fabric protector spray?
A fabric protector spray provides a protective layer on your sofa’s fabric. This helps to protect the furniture from stains due to dirt and spills soaking into the fabric.
In addition, the protective layer helps to block out UV rays that can fade the color of your couch or sofa over time.
Why you need a fabric protector spray and is it worth it?
You need to use a fabric protector spray on your furniture to help;
- Protect furniture from liquid spills, food stains, and even sweat
- Help protect your upholstery from the effects of UV light which cause fading
- Restore your furniture’s original color and shine
- Leave the furniture with a clean soft feel
Best fabric protection spray for furniture reviews
1. Scotchgard Fabric water shield
Get the Scotchgard fabric water shield protector if you are tired of water-based spills ruining your couch or sofa.
This product gets deep into the fibers of the fabric so it won’t wash out and wear off over time. Actually, it will still offer maximum protection even after 30 rounds of washing your seat covers.
It is ideal for people families with kids and pets since it protects the seat fabric from any accidental liquid spills including pet urine. This helps to keep the seats looking newer for longer.
You can use this water protection shield not only on furniture but also on, curtains, pillows, clothing, backpacks, and canvas shoes among others.
- Safe to use on all furniture fabrics and colors
- Does not wash out quickly
- It is clear after drying
- Easy application
- Might change the texture of your fabric and feel a bit rough
2. Guardsman Fabric Defense & upholstery protector
This is a long-lasting stain protector that is safe to use on all fabrics, upholstery, table linens, clothing, and microfiber rugs among others.
It does not contain any strong chemicals so it will not change how the fabric looks or feel. Also, there is no strong chemical smells associated with using this product which means you can use it on all types of upholstery including finished and aniline leathers!
Moreover, this fabric protection spray not only protects against stains but also spills, soiling, and fading. This helps to keep the furniture looking newer for longer.
- Odorless when dry
- Protects against liquid soiling
- Can be used on outdoor furniture since it protects against fading
- Does not contain harmful chemicals
- Fast-drying –about 2-4 hours
- Does not change the texture of the upholstery or fabric
- None so far. It’s a great product as it does exactly what it is meant to do.
3. TriNova Non-Aerosol Stain Guard
TriNova Non-Aerosol Stain Guard is a fabric protection spray that is formulated with advanced nanotechnology to protect your living space from dirt and stains of all kinds.
It protects against all kinds of spills – even ones that are not easily removable with other cleaners. Also, it gives your furniture an extra layer of protection for stains that might occur in the future, without changing the look or feel of your fabric surfaces.
You can use this spray to protect furniture like sofas and chairs as well as low and high pile carpets and rugs.
- One aerosol spray can cover 40 square feet
- Not flammable
- Protects against all kinds of spills
- It’s clear and odorless
- It is not safe for finished leather, vinyl, rubber, or plastic products
4. Vectra Furniture, carpet, fabric protector shield
This fabric protection shield spray is the best way to protect your interior furniture and upholstery from stains and water.
When sprayed on fabric, it bonds with fibers on the fabric to form an invisible shield that repels water and stains.
Moreover, this invisible shield also blocks harmful UV rays that rapidly deteriorate fabrics and this increases the durability of your upholstery and carpets.
- Safe to use on all fabrics including velvet
- Protects against water and multiple stains
- Shields furniture against harmful UV rays that deteriorates fabrics
- Makes fabric moth resistant
- It’s clear and odorless
- Easy to use
- No toxic chemicals and smell
- None so far
See also: Can you use baking soda to clean upholstery?
How to apply fabric protection spray (Steps)
- Choose the fabric protection spray you desire from our list above or local store
- Read the instructions on the back of the can to make sure you are using it correctly
- Spray on the furniture surface evenly, overlapping in a crisscross pattern.
- Do not spray to the point of saturation/dripping. If there is excess liquid dripping off, wipe it away with a paper towel
- Let surface dry for 24 hours before using.
- Re-treat every 30-45 days or as needed.
FAQ about the best spray for fabric furniture protection
1. Is fabric protection on furniture worth it?
Fabric protection is worth it. If you have ever had a spill or accident on your upholstery, then you know the importance of protecting furniture from stains and spills.
This is especially true for fabric pieces that are more expensive to replace than leather furniture.
The protective spray simply covers simply provides a shield that protects the furniture from accidental spills and sun damage so that you can avoid costly replacements down the line.
2. Does Scotchgard fabric protector work?
Yes, Scotchgard fabric protector works. When sprayed on furniture, it creates a long-lasting invisible protective shield against spills and stains.
For best results, it should be applied when the fabric is clean although it also works well if you apply it after a spill has occurred.
The secret behind its powerful protection comes from its polyurethane formula which creates a thin barrier between your fabric furniture and liquids.
3. Is there a non-toxic fabric protector?
Many people are familiar with the use of fabric protector spray for furniture and clothing, but many don’t know if it is safe.
Fabric protectors often contain chemicals that can be toxic to humans and animals in high doses.
However, there are non-toxic and safer options available on the market today which will not leave a residue or change the color of your fabric as some other types do.
If you want to keep your furniture looking newer longer without exposing yourself to harmful chemicals, make sure you read labels carefully when shopping around and select one that doesn’t have any warnings besides its ingredients list.
You’ll also find reviews from customers who say they used these products safely for years without issue.
4. How long does fabric protection last?
Fabric protection can last up to a year, but it all depends on the type of protector and how well you take care of your furniture.
Reapplication is however recommended after 6 months depending on the wear & tear of your item because over time fabric spray breaks down due to UV rays and normal everyday use.
It’s not always easy to find the best fabric protector for furniture that will protect against spills and UV rays.
Luckily, whether you are looking to protect your indoor or outdoor furniture, we have provided you with a few options above to consider.
The first thing you might want to look at before making that purchase is where your furniture is used most often, i.e. indoors or outdoors. This is because outdoor furniture may need UV protection more than the ones inside the house.
Also, consider how fast the protection spray dries and how long it typically lasts before needing to be reapplied.