Do you live in an old house and you are looking for the best weather stripping for old doors?
In this article, we shall review the top 5 weatherstrips that work perfectly for old doors.
As the years go by, weather stripping on doors and windows also gets old and damaged. This causes cold or hot air to leak into the house as well as water and rain.
As you try to warm or cool down the house to make it more comfortable, your energy consumption also goes up.
This is why it is important to seal the gaps, cracks, and spaces where the air is coming in so as to save on power bills.
Other than weather stripping, you can draft proof your doors by recaulking so as to seal all the cracks around it.
Here are the top 3 weather stripping for old doors.
Best Weather Stripping for Old Interior and Exterior
1. New: KS Hardware adjustable door sweep
This new KS Hardware adjustable door sweep is designed to provide maximum weather seal between your house and the outside.
It is compatible with most thresholds and can be adjusted up to 7/8 inches to ensure it seals perfectly. It is made of durable plastic so it is easy to cut to the desired length.
In addition, this door sweep has a drainage channel to allow water to drain out without getting into the house.
- It is adjustable
- Provides a tight seal between the door and the threshold
- Can be painted or stained to match the color of your door
- Perfectly fits in-swing exterior door
- Durable and long-lasting
- It only fits standard doors that are 1-3/4 inches thick
2. Holikme2Pack Twin Door Draft stopper
This draft door stopper comes in a pack of 2 so you get matching stoppers for 2 doors.
It comes in different colors and the size can be adjusted to fit your door.
The sponges are large than the ordinary draft door stoppers so they do not move with the opening of the door. In addition, they have Velcro which helps to prevent the stopper from moving with the door.
Moreover, the cover is made from pure cotton and can be washed repeatedly in the machine without affecting its quality.
Other than preventing draft, this door seal also helps to reduce noise as well as block smoke from outside and hot wind/air.
- Holds tight which prevents cold and hot air, noise, and light from getting into the house.
- It can be cut to match the length of the door
- Very easy to install
- Stays in place
- It is very well made and doesn’t ruin the door
- It should come in a set of 2 but most buyers complained of receiving just one.
See also: Best uninsulated garage heater
3. MAXTID Door Draft Stopper Seal Strip
This seal strip is ideal for a screen door, front door, or storm door. This is because it is made from high-quality abrasion-resistant fabric, which protects against rain, wind, and noise from outside.
In addition, it can be used on both exterior and interior doors as well as all types of floors. The adhesive on the back is very strong and has a hook and loop faster, which ensures that it stays in place.
This draft stopper is however meant to cover a door gap that is not more than 1.3 inches.
It comes in different sizes; 24, 30, 32, and 36 inches so you can choose the perfect length for your door.
- Attaches strongly at the bottom of the door
- Can be removed without damaging the door
- Slides smoothly against the floor and carpet
- It is easy to install and remove
- Easy to clean
- Can be cut to fit the length of the door
- The foam tubes might take a lot of space and prevent the door from opening fully
4. USUKUE Under Door Draft stopper
USUKUE provides you with an easy fix to stop not only drafts but also dust, dirt, and rain from getting into the house.
It is one of the easiest draft stoppers to fix at the bottom of the door. This is because it has an adhesive backing which adheres to different materials like wood, metal, or plastic.
In addition, it comes with a set of screws, which allows you to secure it firmly on the door.
The part that attaches to the door is made of aluminum while the seal is flexible silicone. So you can adjust it to fit the size of the door
However, this door draft stopper is designed to cover a 1.5-inch door gap.
- It sticks firmly onto the door and does not move when the door is opened or closed
- Easy to trim to the required size
- Adheres to all types of doors for both interior and exterior
- It comes with screws for a secure installation
- It does not cover a gap that is wider than 1.5 inches.
5. DECOREALM Heavy Duty weather stripping
This draft door stopper just needs to be placed at the bottom of the door to protect the room from cold air and heat. It can also be used on windows.
It is a high-end door insulator than is weighted with ceramic beads inside a well-woven wool-polyester blend cover.
The stopper is 36 inches long and weighs about 3.5 pounds so it is solid and sturdy enough not to be blown off by the wind.
In addition, it has handles on both ends which ease storage when not in use.
- It is highly versatile since it can be used on front doors, windows, and sliding glass and double doors.
- Very firm and sturdy
- Easy to use
- The cover is machine washable
- Helps to prevent outside smells from getting into the house
- Price is a bit on the higher side
See also: Best couch cushion support
There are always gaps or spaces between the door and the floor. These gaps allow hot and cold air, snow, and rain to blow into the house easily. That is why choosing the best weather stripping for old doors is a good way to minimized air leakage and make your home more comfortable.
Weather-stripping makes your house windproof, waterproof, and soundproof. You can choose a good draft stopper from the list we have reviewed depending on your style, size of the door, and house décor.
The good thing is that most weather strips can be customized either by reducing the size or painting them to match the color of your door.