Electric recliner power cords can be a nuisance when they are all over the floor. This is why you need to find ways on how to hide power recliner cords because if not well managed, they can be a tripping hazard.
Read on to find out ways in which you can enjoy the comfort of electric recliner seats without worrying about the power cords.
- How to hide power recliner cords
- 1. Use the wireless battery power supply for recliners
- 2. Electrical cord covers for floor
- 3. Use floor tape for electric cords
- 4. Run the cable/power cords under carpet or area rug
- 5. Install power outlets on the floor
- 6. Run the cables along the baseboard
- 7. Fix the cords on the wall using cable clips
- 8. Rearrange your furniture
How to hide power recliner cords
Hiding power recliner cords should not be complicated. However, it can be more difficult than you imagined because the solutions you choose should maintain the aesthetic and décor of your living room.
Below are some of the ways you can hide the cords.
1. Use the wireless battery power supply for recliners
One of the best and easiest solutions is to purchase a cordless battery pack for your electric recliner seats.
The wireless battery allows you to place your power recliner in the middle of the room or anywhere else without worrying about the cords being visible on the floor.
Moreover, the packs are rechargeable so you can still recline your furniture back and forth even during power outages.
However, in order for the battery to serve you longer without recharging often, consider the following factors during purchase.
- Battery run time. It is important to choose a battery pack that keeps power for a long period. Some packs are strong enough to give you up to 300 cycles. Note that, using extra features of your recliner like the USB port, lights, and cup warmer drains the battery faster.
- Recharge time. How long will it take for the battery to charge fully? Charging time means you will not be using your recliner, so how long are you willing to wait? Most brands take 3 to 6 hours to charge which is considerable time.
- Will the battery alert you when it’s running low? A battery pack that beeps when running low alerts you so that you don’t get stuck in your recliner. It will be even better if they have a power indicator.
2. Electrical cord covers for floor
Cord covers are also known as floor cable protectors.
They are used to cover and protect power/electrical cords on the floor so as to avoid damage from foot traffic or tripping accidents.
When choosing the best cord cover, you should consider certain factors.
- Length of the cords. How long the cords determine the length of the cover you choose. Some covers are 4 feet while others go up to 6 feet long.
- Width of the cords. If you want to cover multiple cords with a one-floor cover, make sure that it is wide enough.
- Warranty. Yes, it is a simple cord cover, but you want something that will last longer. A brand that gives you one year warranty should be of good quality.
With that in mind, cord covers come in different colors so you should choose one that is aesthetically pleasing and matches your floor or carpet.
D-Line Floor Cord Covers come highly recommended since they are high quality and lay flat on the floor, which prevents tripping. In addition, they are very flexible and resistant to abrasion so they can withstand heavy foot traffic.
3. Use floor tape for electric cords
Floor tape, also known as gaffers tape or cable concealer tape.
It is a specialized tape that is similar to duct tape except that it has a portion on the interior that has no adhesive where the cords are meant to pass through.
The tape comes in different lengths depending on the length of the cords you want to cover. In addition, it is easy to use and remove and there are two types. One that is made for bare floors and another that is meant for carpets. This allows you to choose the type that matches your flooring type.
A good example of floor tape for electric cords is the JVCC Wire-Line Cable Cover Tape. It is heavy-duty and designed to stick to different surfaces. Most importantly, it does not leave residue or film on surfaces when removed.
4. Run the cable/power cords under carpet or area rug
If your electric recliner is in the middle of the room, you can hide the cords by running them under the carpet or area rug.
This can however be hazardous and cause a fire if the cords are walked on too much.
Therefore, you need to cover the cords first before hiding them under the rugs using the cord covers or floor tapes we talked about earlier. This will also help to prevent bumps on the rug that can cause tripping.
In addition, you should ensure that the electric wires new, UL listed, and on an area with minimal movement to prevent possible fire hazards.
See also: How to keep a rug in place on carpet
5. Install power outlets on the floor
When the power outlet is on the floor, you can place the recliner over the outlet so that the cords are hidden underneath.
If this is the only solution to get rid of cords all over your living room, then go for it.
However, you must call a certified electrician to assess if it is possible to install power outlets on your floor and how much it will cost you, in terms of time and money.
The good thing is that can get floor outlet covers for all surfaces including carpet, wood, tile, or granite.
6. Run the cables along the baseboard
People do not look down at the baseboard so chances are that they will hardly notice the cords. However, make sure that the cords are tight to prevent tripping hazards.
If your floor is hardwood and there is space between the wood and the subfloor, you can as well hide the cords along that space.
7. Fix the cords on the wall using cable clips
Cable clips cord organizers in getting the cords off the floor.
When used correctly, they will make your space tidy and protect you from electrical fire and trip hazards.
Cable clips are easy to use even without the help of a professional. They are available in different sizes and colors.
The ideal clip size depends on the thickness of your cords. When it comes to color, they are available in white, black, beige, or grey. Choose a color that blends or is neutral to your environment.
8. Rearrange your furniture
Last but not least, rearranging your furniture is another simple solution to getting power recliner cords off the floor.
Consider the location of the power outlets on the wall and move the furniture close to them.
The closer the furniture will be to the outlets, the easier it will be to conceal the cords since they will not be running across the room.
See also: Best slipcovers for lazy boy recliners
Electric recliner seats are easy to operate because they will adjust automatically. However, the power cords pause a tripping hazard if not well organized. In this article, we have given you a few simple solutions on how to hide power recliner cords for maximum comfort and safety.
As discussed above, there are several ways to hide the power cords including, sliding them under the carpet, running them along the floor and baseboard, as well as using cord tapes.
Bottom line is, there are many safe ways to keep recliner power cords organized. Do not allow yourself to have a disorganized house, or expose your family to the dangers of having loose cords all over the floor.