Getting the best chair mat for thick carpet or high pile is challenging because most chair mats have a smooth surface; hence, they hardly stay in place.
For this reason, chair mats that are meant for thick and high pile carpets are textured at the bottom with little spikes. This allows them to grip firmly onto the fibers of the carpet and stay in place without curling or flexing.
Therefore, in this article, we shall review 5 chair mats that stay in place on thick and high pile carpets.
But first, see these three options for a quick pick in case you don’t have time to read this review until the end.
Best chair mat for thick carpet or high pile carpet
1. AmazonBasics Polycarbonate Office Carpet Mat
This chair mat is specially designed for thick high pile carpets and rugs.
It is made of high gauge polycarbonate so it is free of toxic chemicals like lead, phthalates, and cadmium. Also, it does not emit any gases or odor.
The reason why it works so well on thick high pile carpet is that it provides high impact resistance; thus, it does not flex, curl, or cup on any carpeted floor. In addition, it has a lightly textured top surface that controls the movement of the chair.
Moreover, this polycarbonate mat protects the carpet against damage from the wheels and casters of office chairs.
However, it is not ideal for a heavy person since the maximum recommended weight is 250lbs.
For a heavy person, you should get this AmazonBasics Polycarbonate heavy Duty Chair Mat that is designed for people weighing over 500lbs and works great on carpets and hard floors.
- Very easy to clean
- No chemical emissions or odor
- Lies flat on the carpet compared to vinyl mats
- Very sturdy on the carpeted floor
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- You need to be extra careful when unwrapping it because it comes rolled up
2. Resilia-Deluxe Clear Vinyl protector for Deep Pile Carpet
It is not easy to find a chair mat for deep pile carpets. So when I came across this customizable vinyl runner, I had to add it to my list.
This mat can be customized to fit your office space and it is very easy to cut with a pair of scissors or utility knife.
It is made of heavy-duty or thick plastic vinyl so it’s strong enough to protect the carpet against wear and tear by the wheels of the chair, spills, and other possible causes of damage.
The underside is studded in order to ensure it stays firmly in place. However, the presence of studs or spike means that it is not ideal for use on hardwood, tile, or cement floors.
- Easy to customize
- Grips the carpet firmly
- Free of phthalate and any Prop 65 regulated contaminants
- It is easy to clean
- Lays flat on the carpet without curling on the sides
- Protects the carpet
- Very flexible
- It may take a little while to lay flat completely
See also: Best entry mats for hardwood floor
3. Lorrel Tampered Glass Mat
If you are looking for the best chair mat for a heavy person that can stay in place on a thick carpet, then this is it.
The Lorell chair mat is made of heavy-duty glass but can provide support to a maximum of 1,000lb.
In addition, it works perfectly on any type of floor from the low, medium, and high pile carpets to marble, hardwood, and ceramic floors.
Moreover, the glass is scratch-resistant and offers a smooth surface for your chair to roll on.
- It protects the carpet from chair and desk impressions and dents
- Very durable
- The chair rolls smoothly on it
- Great for heavy people
- It is very sturdy and stable on the carpet
- Costs much cheaper than other glass chair mat alternatives
- None so far. Users absolutely love this glass chair mat
See also: How to protect carpeted stairs
4. MuArts Store Crystal Clear Heavy Duty Hard Chair Mat
This chair mat is made from a special material that is crystal clear so you might mistake it for glass.
Although the manufacturer has not mentioned which material this is, they have clearly indicated that it is free of toxic compounds and odor.
Just like the previous glass chair mat we reviewed, this too can support weight over 1000lbs. To be specific, it can withstand about 1400lbs; hence, making it ideal for heavy persons and for commercial use.
However, it is considered to be more durable than glass since it does not break.
In addition, the material is hard and heavy so it stays in place on thick carpets as well as medium and high pile carpets. It does not curl or flex rather it lays completely flat on the floor.
- It is made of durable heavy-duty material
- Easy to clean
- Lays flat on the carpet and floor
- It is crystal clear so you can see the floor pattern through it
- Comes with a 12-month warranty and lifetime technical support
- It is thick and heavy compared to most chair mats of similar size
- Works perfectly on both hardwood and carpeted floors
- It has sharp edges so you might have to add tape or bevel the edges
- Slides on low pile carpets
See also: Best weather stripping for old doors
5. Gorilla Grip Premium polycarbonate studded chair mat
This chair mat is made of 100% polycarbonate material so it is very strong, sturdy, and solid.
As the name suggests, the Gorilla Grip chair mat is designed to hold firmly onto the carpet so as to stay in place.
The underside has studs or spikes which dig into the fibers of a thick, deep, or high pile carpet. This helps to secure it in place so that it doesn’t move when the office chair is rolling on the surface.
In addition, the mat is clear and transparent, which allows the beauty of your carpet’s design and pattern to be seen.
Most importantly, it has a lip, which extends the protection of your carpet to under the desk so that you don’t get the carpet dirty with your feet.
Unlike most chair mats that come rolled up, this mat ships flat so it comes ready for immediate use and lies flat on the carpet pretty quickly.
- It is long-lasting and durable
- Stays in place due to the studded underside
- Provides under the desk protection with the extended lip
- Comes with a 10-year guarantee
- It does not curl on flex on a carpeted floor
- The wheels of the chair glide smoothly on the surface of this chair mat
- Not suitable for hardwood floor due to the studs and spikes
The best chair mat for thick carpet or high pile carpet is designed with a textured back surface to allow it to grip firmly onto the fibers of the carpet.
For this reason, mats meant for thick or high pile carpets are not suitable for hardwood or tiled floors as they may damage them.